How to Clean Outdoor Cushions and Fabric Furniture?
Clean outdoor cushions and modern fabric furniture make the patios and sunbeds alluring and more attractive. Most of these outdoor pillows are treated to withstand the UV rays of the sun and to repel stains. However, the protective finish can deteriorate with passing time. Because of the molds and mildew, these cushions get dirty.
We’re here to provide you with information to clean your outdoor pillows and fabric furniture to restore the beauty and luxury of your patios and sundecks.
Cleaning Habits For Outdoor Cushions & Furniture
You should not wait for summer to end and for mildew to settle to start cleaning your cushions and fabric furniture. Such an act will make the stains stubborn. It will become much more difficult for you to clean those outdoor cushions afterward. You should opt for frequent cleaning habits and polish the pillows and fabric furniture present outside the house.
Specific stain types require different stain removers. The best overall used cleaner for outdoor cushions and furniture is RMR-86 Instant Mold and Mildew Stain Remover. The key element in the cleaning procedure is to allow the cleaner to settle and loosen the stains.
Required Tools & Materials
The cleaning of outdoor furniture and cushions requires proper tools and equipment. You’ll need the following tools and materials to carry on with this procedure of cleaning.
- A soft brush (for removing grass stains, tree sap, mildew, sunscreen, and bird droppings)
- A blunt knife (Only for bird droppings)
- Detergent Powder Or A Strong Liquid Detergent (For removing grass stains, tree sap, mildew, sunscreen, and bird droppings)
- Warm Water (For removing tree sap and grass stains)
- Bleach (Chlorine or Oxygen Based)
6 Easy Steps To Clean Outdoor Cushions & Fabric Furniture
The following steps should be followed to remove many stains and dirt from the outdoor furniture.
1. Abolish Grass Stains
To remove the grass stains from your furniture placed outside your home, follow these simple and effective steps.
- Pretreat the stain with a strong liquid detergent containing stain-removing enzymes.
- Apply detergent to the stained area using a soft brush.
- Drench well and dip the fabric in a mixture of oxygen-based bleach and warm water to clean the fabric. Keep it in this solution for at least an hour.
- Take out the fabric and place it outside for drying purposes.
2. Remove Tree Sap Stains
Eradicate the tree sap stains from your furniture by following these steps.
- Use an enzyme-based stain remover to treat the furniture for about 15 minutes.
- Apply the detergent powder and water mixture to the stains.
- With a soft-bristled brush, rinse the stains well in hot water.
- Wash the whole of the fabric with warm water and an oxygen-based bleach mixture to take off any discoloration.
3. Separate Mildew Stains
Mold and mildew stains are very prominent and must be removed to make your outdoor furniture clean.
- Sway the item outdoors to prevent any mold growth in your home.
- Treat it with a heavy-duty liquid detergent for at least 15 minutes.
- Then wash the fabric in the warm water and let it sun dry.
- Add chlorine-based bleach to white-colored fabrics in water to prevent any discoloration.
4. Remove Sunscreen Marks
Follow these guidelines to remove sunscreen from outdoor fabric furniture and cushions.
- Pretreat with a paste of water and powder detergent for at least 30 minutes.
- Launder the fabric like other normal fabrics.
5. Take Off Bird Droppings
Bird droppings reduce the glamour of the furniture and the dried residues look very odd on the furniture. You can remove these droppings from your furniture by following these steps.
- With a stiff-bristled brush, remove the dried residues of droppings from the furniture.
- Treat these marks with a mixture of warm water and heavy-duty liquid detergent and rinse them well.
- For stubborn stains, use an oxygen-based bleach.
6. Wash Outdoor Pillows
Pillows are items that can be washed in a washing machine after pretreatment is completed. Use a mixture of warm water and heavy-duty powdered detergent in the washing machine. For large items that cannot be placed in the washer, choose a place outdoors to wash and then sun dry them. Scrub the cushions with a soft-bristled brush and rinse them well after they are cleaned.
These simple but effective techniques will definitely help you remove many stains from your outdoor cushions and fabric furniture and make them clean and beautiful again. Clean outdoor furniture imparts an alluring and appealing aesthetic to the overall environment. These steps are simple, time-saving, and effective to intensify your outdoor decor.